Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Good Life

This morning I watched the sun rise over the Atlantic. It was a little cloudy, but that made the sun coming up and the reflection all the more beautiful. Growing up on the west coast, I've seen my share of sunsets over the Pacific. I'd had recently had a conversation with someone where I realized I hadn't seen the sun rise over the alternate coast. I thought it would be a cool way to kickoff the last weekend of my sabbatical.

It took about 60 seconds before the dog was in the water, which was hilarious. Who would want to go in the Atlantic Ocean at 6:45 in the morning? My dog, that's who. She was so incredibly happy to be running through the waves and digging in the sand. Shortly after sunrise, the guy I met through the NJYP event last month joined the dog and I for a walk along the shore. Truth be told, I would have had a perfectly fine time sitting alone on the beach. But watching the dog romping around and sharing a conversation with him made the morning that much more enjoyable. On my last weekend of sabbatical, it's a great reminder that, while though I'm perfectly capable and strong on my own, having others around me makes life richer.

I've recently been listening to a song by OneRepublic called Good Life. It's got a great melody and the words have been resonating with me these past couple of weeks.

OneRepublic - Good Life

Woke up in London yesterday
Found myself in the city near Piccadilly
Don't really know how I got here
I got some pictures on my phone

New names and numbers that I don't know
Address to places like Abbey Road
Day turns to night, night turns to whatever we want
We're young enough to say

Oh this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life

Say oh, got this feeling that you can't fight
Like this city is on fire tonight
This could really be a good life
A good, good life

To my friends in New York, I say hello
My friends in L.A. they don't know
Where I've been for the past few years or so
Paris to China to Colorado

Sometimes there's airplanes I can' t jump out
Sometimes there's bullshit that don't work now
We are god of stories but please tell me
What there is to complain about

When you're happy like a fool
Let it take you over
When everything is out
You gotta take it in

Hopelessly
I feel like there might be something that I'll miss
Hopelessly
I feel like the window closes oh so quick
Hopelessly
I'm taking a mental picture of you now
'Cuz hopelessly
The hope is we have so much to feel good about

Sometimes there's airplanes I can' t jump out
Sometimes there's bullshit that don't work now
We are god of stories but please tell me
What there is to complain about

What is there to complain about? Frankly, there's probably plenty. But it's about a mindset. Not every day. But for a few moments most days. I hope I can continue to take the time to be grateful for the things I have in my life. And in tune enough to recognize the things in my life that need to change to make this the life I want to live. Because we're in charge of how this whole life thing plays out. You can either live your life, or let it live you.

I am grateful for the life I'm living. I'm grateful for the people I know, for people I've lost, and for the things I've learned about myself. Having lost people in my life sooner than expected, I'm conscious of how much our futures are unknown. But I have comfort in knowing that if my life on this earth ends tomorrow, I've lived a good life. And, if I keep consciously working at it, it's just going to keep getting better.

1 comment:

  1. yes, you have an amazing life. Thanks for sharing a little bit of it with us through this blog.

    ReplyDelete