Wednesday, January 12, 2011

No Cancer. Or No Cancer?

Had a chance to meet up with that Breast Cancer Surgeon my Dr. was wanting me to see.  Unfortunately, this surgeon doesn't take my insurance.  The PPO will cover 70% after I meet a $500 deductible, though, so I guess I'm not totally screwed.  And I figure this is my health, so probably not an area to skimp if I can help it.  So, I arrived in the office.  There's one reception area for the whole practice, and a separate area for just this surgeon.  Apparently she's doing okay for herself, but I'm taking this as a good sign.  I waited for like 50 minutes passed my appointment time, mammogram films and ultrasound results in hand.  Getting slightly more nervous by the minute, and thinking I'm going to be seriously pissed if this fucks with my time off.  Finally, I'm called back.  She walks in, does a quick breast exam, and tells me she's looked at my films.  History of breast cancer?  Nope.  Age?  31.  "Yeah", she says.  "I think you're fine".  Sweet.  She goes on for a few minutes about how mammograms are a pretty imperfect science.  That most people will recommend a biopsy if they can't tell what something is, just to be safe.  But she thinks it's really unlikely and totally up to me what I want to do (I sort of hate when they say this - what would you do if it was you).  Option A is a giant needle stuck in both breasts; Option B to return for another mammogram in four months to make sure nothing is growing.  I go for Option B.  And after 50 minutes of waiting, and seven minutes with the surgeon I fork out $260.  What the f?!  And I get to do it again in four months.  I'm not sure if I want to be grateful, annoyed, or perhaps a bit of both.  But I'm putting it out of my mind for now and focusing back on the sabbatical.  If nothing else, it is reminding me to go into this time off focused on me and my health so I can go on kicking ass for a long time.  What are you doing to make sure you do the same?  Hasta, sabbaticaljo

No comments:

Post a Comment